Readers' Group Guide and Discussion Topics
If you want to be recognized as a crucial work of modern fiction, you'd better have one of these. So we thought we'd better come up with one pronto. These thought-provoking topics should ...um...keep your thoughts provoked.
1. Augustus Gump has been called "the greatest living exponent of the English language." How many beers do you think Mr. Gump had had when he made this claim?
2. "The character of T. John Dick is so troubling because the pathos of his situation contrasts starkly with the bathos of his character. Within the parameters of his corporate microcosm, he achieves the status of a contemporary tragic hero, destined to fail by the very flaws which drive his aspirations for success."
Which of these two sentences is the more patently absurd?
3. TJ's obsession with trivial details, such as the Meeting Room Reservation Procedure might be described as a serious personality defect. Discuss some of your own personality defects. Bet you've got some real doozies! You might like to help your co-members by pointing out some of theirs.
4. "The Management Secrets of T. John Dick" contains strikingly few references to fish - yet water covers 70% of the earth's surface. Coincidence?
5. Augustus Gump is considering the purchase of a pipe in the belief that being observed to smoke one will enhance his profile as an important literary voice. Do you think this will be a waste of money?
6. What is it about "The Management Secrets of T. John Dick" which gives it its power to fascinate the reader to the extent that he/she would prefer to sit around in someone's living room or a bookstore coffee shop discussing its nuances, rather than to head down to the bar on the corner for a couple of swift ones and maybe some buffalo wings? Hey, come back! Where are you going? Hey!
The Mainland Press
The Management Secrets of T. John Dick
"Imagine if the pointy haired Boss from Dilbert wrote his own version of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," and you have an idea of the type of facetious advice offered in "The Management Secrets of T. John Dick."...
...If you work in an office, pick up a copy of this book. You'll definitely laugh. And you may cry too, because T. John Dick is too close to the truth."
- Greensboro News & Record
"Laugh out loud funny….destined to be a classic"
- Hickory Daily Record
This book reached #5 in Fiction and a preposterous #2 in the Business category
Press releases, author information and more
You can browse and buy our books here
How to submit a manuscript to The Mainland Press
268 Pages. Softcover.
List price $12.95
20% discount applied at checkout